[OpenLayers-Users] Resolutions with Geowebcache and WMSGetFeatureInfo [Sec=Unclassified]

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Jul 29 15:30:20 EDT 2010

Hi Miles-

GeoWebCache supports the WMTS standard.  The WMTS standard defines a
GetFeatureInfo method (with different semantics than the WMS
GetFeatureInfo method).  OpenLayers (true) provides a WMTS layer.  I've
got a patch outstanding to add a WMTS GetFeatureInfo control.  This, in
my mind, is the way to get feature info from a tile service.

A few tickets need addressing before this would be entirely useful to
you.  You can watch this one if you're interested:

http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2678

I'll try to find some time to finish that up in the near future.

Tim

On 7/28/10 6:00 PM, Miles Jordan wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Thanks. That method works, but I was hoping I could get geowebcache
> to work so that clients that consume data from us can access both
> maps and getfeatureinfo from the one url. Ideally I would like to
> have geoserver completely inaccessible from outside the firewall,
> with geowebcache being the only way to access it. Your suggestion
> will do the trick for the time being though.
>
> Regards,
>
> Miles
>
> Andreas Hocevar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the problem I see with your approach is that
>> OpenLayers.Control.GetFeatureInfo creates a GetFeatureInfo request
>> for the map extent, not for a tile. I would recommend sending
>> GetFeatureInfo requests to the underlying WMS, as explained in
>> http://getsatisfaction.com/opengeo/topics/error_in_wmsgetfeatureinfo#r

eply_2612983

_____

>>> Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia
>>> IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the addressee only.
>>> If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that use
>>> or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by
>>> Commonwealth law. If you have received this transmission in
>>> error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by
>>> telephoning +61
>> 3 6232 3209 and DELETE the message.
>>> Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/
>>

> Regards,
>
> Miles

>  Australian Antarctic Division - Commonwealth of Australia IMPORTANT:
> This transmission is intended for the addressee only. If you are not
> the intended recipient, you are notified that use or dissemination of
> this communication is strictly prohibited by Commonwealth law. If you
> have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by e-mail or by telephoning +61 3 6232 3209 and DELETE
> the message. Visit our web site at http://www.antarctica.gov.au/

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org