[OpenLayers-Users] OSM=>Shapefile Examples Online?

Alessandro Ferrucci alessandroferrucci at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:23:28 EDT 2011

OSM has already defined beautiful styles for their maps.

If you go the Tigerline shapefiles way you'd have to do all the work of
downloading all the shapefiles, indexing them/storing them and retrieving
them.

Also you'd have to deploy your own WMS server.

OSM ( assuming your usage pattern falls within their acceptable limits ) has
done all the hard work for you, and is probably going to be more complete.

This is more broad than simply an OpenLayers question if you're deciding
wether to deploy your own WMS server with your own WMS source or to use OSM.

If you're going to go the shapefile way you need to learn geoserver,
possibly indexed shapefiles or PostGIS for storage.  As for examples, try
looking at any of the geoserver examples, as they all use OpenLayers as the
client.

Cheers,
Alessandro Ferrucci

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Arnie Shore <ashore3 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Ideally, any example of US counties wd be appreciated, esp those with pan
> and zoom.
>
> I'm in the discovery/learning phase of a project in which we'll transit
> from a GMaps base to OSM/OL, and it had been suggested that shapefiles could
> provide advantages over OSM tiles.
>
> Presumably, we'd use apppriate TIGER/Line Shapefiles.  Demographic data not
> needed - just roads and infrastructure features.
>
> Repeat:  I'm in the discovery/learning phase, and I may be asking the wrong
> question, so pls 'be suggestive'.
>

> AS

Signed,
Alessandro Ferrucci