[OpenLayers-Users] Use of MBTIles with openlayers

Greg Allensworth gregor at greeninfo.org
Wed Jan 25 11:51:45 EST 2012

On 1/25/2012 4:18 AM, Robert Buckley wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used MBTiles to server
> basemaps in Openlayers? Do any live example exist if yes?

You need server-side software to open the MBTiles file and fetch the
tiles. TileStache and TileStream are two popular servers for doing this.

TileStache is Python and I found it fairly easy to set up. It runs under
Apache as CGI, mod_python, or WSGI. If you have an existing web server
and web content, this is probably the easiest way to go.

TileStream is written in Node JS and takes a bit more setup. It does not
run under Apache, but is its own server with its own service port and it
has some behaviors regarding the hostname of incoming requests --
running it on port 80 with your other web content is not simple.

--
Greg Allensworth, Web GIS Developer
BS  A+  Network+  Security+  Linux+  Server+
PH: 415-979-0343 x302  FX: 415-979-0371    email: gregor at greeninfo.org
Web: www.GreenInfo.org     www.MapsPortal.org

Subscribe to MapLines, our e-newsletter, at www.GreenInfo.org