[OpenLayers-Users] Use of MBTIles with openlayers

jrom jerome.gasperi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 05:33:45 EST 2012

Hi Tac !

2012/1/25 Tac Tacelosky <tacman at gmail.com>:
> Wow, what a cool tool!   Am I correct in my (brief) reading of the license
> that it is more permissive than GPL?
>
> http://www.cecill.info/licences/Licence_CeCILL-B_V1-en.html

I really appreciate that you like this application :)
Yes the license is more permissive than GPL. It can be compared to the
BSD license : you can do what you want with the code without giving
back the modifications to the community. The main difference with BSD
is that you need to expressively mention mapshup in your software -
let the mapshup logo within the map for example.

> I have a client that needs a map to integrate with some of our tools,
> although I'm guessing that I'd be able to do this without actually modifying
> the mashup code, simply configuring the widgets and search, etc.
> The license mentions "External Modules".  Is their documentation or a
> mailing list for developing those?

It's a very generic licence so "External Modules" do not refer
specifically to mapshup. However the application architecture is based
on a "plugin" approach to allow people to develop their own
functionality. Unfortunately i had no time yet to write documentation
so for the moment you need to look at the code to understand how it
works.
To have some idea about what you can by configuration, you should look
at the default configuration file
(http://code.google.com/p/mapshup/source/browse/client/js/mapshup/config/default.js).

I'm preparing some minimal documentation to explain how the tool works
and how you can configure/modify it to suits your needs.
For example, there are some hidden functionalities that are not
visible at first sight :
 - you should try to drag&drop an url on the map (WMS, WFS, GeoRSS) or
a file (GeoJSON, JPEG with GPS information stored in EXIF, etc.)
 - when you click for more than 200ms on the map, a popup menu appears

> Thanks, and thanks again for a great tool, is it on the OpenLayers example
> page somewhere? (http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/)  It's a great site for
> showcasing OpenLayers' capabilities.

I think that the examples page is dedicated to OpenLayers examples
only and not to "OpenLayers based application".
But i'll be pleased to showcase OpenLayers capabilities through mapshup !

Regards

Jerome

http://jrom.info