[OpenLayers-Users] Some basic information

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon May 28 14:07:34 PDT 2012

> But adding Geometry point's although it looks correct seems to move
> when I move the map around? Zooming in on a point even worse.
Without seeing your code, it is hard to know. My guess would be
projection issues. The OL map will be in the projection of the current
baselayer (eg 900913 if using google maps). If you have created another
layer and are adding points to it from some local source, then you need
to get them into that srs. if you are requesting points from
geoserver/mapserver then they will reproject for you if do the call
correctly.

> Ideally I would like to get a proper map and store it on my Local
> Server. Maybe add a satellite layer to it using raster?

Local server = you own geoserver/mapserver? Who is going to use the map?
Speed can be able network speeds between browser and server, about
server performance, or about amount of data being transferred (eg WFS
can send huge about data if not careful). Solutions will depend on where the

--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232