[OpenLayers-Users] WFS Get Feature using POST?

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Wed Nov 7 13:46:50 PST 2012

> I am trying to get the JSON response using the below code, the same
> origin policy is obviously being applied, however I am trying to do
> this without the use of a proxy.
Trying to do OL without a proxy is like beating yourself with a whip.
And do the explicit POST stuff is just making it harder than it needs to
me - OL provides all that function in nice wrappers - in this case
protocol. You are better off just taking a deep breath and doing the
proxy. The only exception would doing OL off a DVD (ie no server at all)
which is like beating yourself with a whip while banging your head on a
wall - I've been there, got the scars.

If you really insist then use protocol.script. ie
myProtocol = new OpenLayers.Protocol.Script({
                     url: "http://10.0.0.1:6001/geoserver/wfs?",
                     callbackKey: "format_options",
                     callbackPrefix: "callback:",
                     params: {
                         service: "WFS",
                         version: "1.1.0",
                         srsName:mySRS,
                         request: "GetFeature",
                         featurePrefix: yourPrefix,
                         typeName: yourType,
                         outputFormat: "json"
                     },
                 });
and then execute protocol.read to get the json. However, the read method
can take filters and getting these working in the script protocol is a
mission. I've sorted spatial filters and some comparison filters but
dont have a comprehensive solution.