[OpenLayers-Users] Future of OpenLayers or OL3

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Nov 20 13:28:40 PST 2012

On 11/20/2012 3:27 PM, Phil Scadden wrote:
>> Firstly, when I heard OL3 will use webGL I was so happy... Until I read
>> about microsoft's policy about webGL. Probably with fear of competition they
>> are completely thinking that webGL has security issues.
> While I loath IE and most microsofty things, I think MS actually has a
> point. This is access to ring 0 drivers from a website with very little
> sandboxing. A BSOD during a 3D game is an unfortunate fact of life
> because the drivers are so badly written. But a BSOD from visiting a
> website on the browser is more of a pain.
> As for security - well
> http://www.kitguru.net/software/security-software/carl/webgl-exploit-opening-browser-users-to-serious-attacks/
> I think the standard could do with more work.

Phil, thanks for the link.

In general I think there are two separate issues here:

1. is it safe to enable webgl in my browser, which is a personal choice
2. totally separate is whether or not OpenLayers should keep up with
HW/SW standards

I can not address the point 1 because I think the is an individual or
organization decision that has nothing to do with OpenLayers.

I do think OpenLayers should support new HW/SW standards and that
includes webgl. They also plan to keep backwards compatibility for other
renders so you do not have to use webgl if you choose not to. I believe
that eventually they will get webgl patched and it already sounds like
chrome does a lot of check to disable it if it detects a broken HW under
it. I would rather have OpenLayers support it so it is ready when the
browsers are fit for use, by however you want to determine that.

Seems like we should not confuse these issues.

-Steve W