[OSGeo BC] Vancouver goes open?

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri May 15 14:35:59 EDT 2009

Tyler, I know it's short notice, but it would be great if you could write a letter as OSGeo official in support of this motion, outlining the benefits of using open source geospatial software and open data, talking about some of the great open source software and companies that develop and support it in Canada (and in BC in particular), etc.  If we have some Vancouver residents / businesses that could co-sign, that would be even better.  Alternately, perhaps the letter could come from OSGeo-BC, with an OSGeo-BC official (huh.  Martin?  Me?) signing?

If the motion passes, I believe that there are a number of useful contacts at the City of Vancouver that would welcome a discussion with OSGeo representatives to help bring them up to speed; some of them may even be following this list :)

I'll be interested to see the culture shift that this entails; I know their web GIS folks weren't allowed to use PHP for MapGuide development.  Not sure if this is because it was open source or because it wasn't the corporate standard ASP.Net.

On a different note, how many of you are going to be at GeoWeb this year?  Is it worth planning another meetup?  The one at Sierra last year was great; I can still taste the garlic from the pizza. :)

Jason