[osgeo4w-dev] Problems re-installing on WinXP 64

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Wed Jan 14 12:20:58 EST 2009

Hi there,

I stalled OSGeo4W using "advanced install" so that I could select driver E: as the OSGeo4W root and select just some packages like:

GDAL 1.5
Proj.4
OpenEV
GDAL-Java

I was able to use GDAL command line tools and OpenEV from that installation for a while.

Later I setup a Java Web App from scratch in order to use the GDAL Java wrapper. That worked OK until I've got this error:

---
GDALOpen failed - This is a BigTIFF file. BigTIFF is not supported by this version of GDAL and libtiff.
---

Generated by this piece of code on my JSP class:

{{{

    dataset = gdal.Open( fileName, gdalconstConstants.GA_ReadOnly );

    if (dataset == null) {
        result = "GDALOpen failed - " + gdal.GetLastErrorMsg();
    }

}}}}

I checked if the GTIFF driver was supporting BIGTiff by running gdalinfo and it looks like it was.

I have several other GDAL environment on that machine so I decided to clean up a little bit and start from scratch the OSGeo4W installation.

Now I can't get it to work anymore. Nothing. gdal tools, OpenEV and I also tried to install GRASS and QGIS each one of then complain about one
dll or another.

OpenEV:

---------------------------
python.exe - Unable To Locate Component
---------------------------
This application has failed to start because ogdi_32b1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Quantum GIS

---------------------------
qgis.exe - Unable To Locate Component
---------------------------
This application has failed to start because QtCore4.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

GRASS:

---------------------------
g.dirseps.exe - Unable To Locate Component
---------------------------
This application has failed to start because zlib_osgeo.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

gdalinfo:

---------------------------
gdalinfo.exe - Unable To Locate Component
---------------------------
This application has failed to start because ogdi_32b1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK

I tried to run the OSGeo4W again installing each one of the missing dll to the resolve those issues but it doesn't work. There is always something
wrong or missing. I waste the last two days doing that.

Does anybody has ever got in to that mess before? Any hint on how to get out of it? Was OSGeo4W installer tested on Win64 before? Is there a
better way to uninstall and start from scratch then deleting the folder?

Thank you so very much for any attempt to help.

Ivan