[osgeo4w-dev] dllupdate

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 02:13:26 EST 2009

Folks,

For many years I have been plagued by problems with people having "standard"
dlls in \windows\system32 that are outdated, but take priority over the
ones distributed with my packages.  A common problem is the SLL DLLs
(libeay32.dll, and ssleay32.dll) or the MrSID DLLs.

With some encouragement and suggestions from Jurgen, I have implemented a
small utility program - dllupdate.exe - that will copy desired dlls to
\windows\system32 if it determines they are a newer version than the one
already in that directory.  I have also modified the openssl package to use
this mechanism.

There is some information at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/35#comment:1
   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/dllupdate

Also, I have moved the source for the msvcrt utility programs dllupdate
and textreplace into SVN at:

   http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/trunk/utils

for more careful management.