[osgeo4w-dev] Express Install : 1 Go

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 22 12:11:04 EST 2010

Yves Jacolin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the Express Install this afternoon. I think 'Express'  is not a good
> name for this ;) "Easy" would be better as the express install is quiet long
> and take a lot of space. I know that it is not easy to choose package ...

Yves,

:-(

> The problem is when space is not enough, I had some problem as the install
> process didn't seems to finish correctly, even if OSGeo4w installer didn't say
> anything. However some conf file always have @osgeo4w@ variable!

Hmm, I haven't experimented with out of space issues, but I'm not surprised
things go a bit off the rails.

> Anyway, some question: is it possible to preselect in any way some packages
> which will be installed in the Express way?

Yes, but they are pre-selected by us, the OSGeo4W developers.  If the user
were to select them then it's an advanced install!

> Does the Advanced way is supposed to install dependancies? For exemple, if I
> check ms_mapserver_ogc (this is not the exactly right name), does apache,
> mapserver, etc. will be installed? It seems not :/

The advanced install should indeed take care of selecting all the dependencies
unless you do something funky to defeat this.  It is possible that the
recorded dependencies for some packages are incomplete, which ought to be
fixed if observed.

> I would like to allow user to install application easily without take care of
> dependancy neither to get 1Go used with all packages.
>
> Finally, why postgresql/postgis is not available. in OSGeo4W? Licence issue?

The post-install setup for Postgres is pretty involved, and it was deemed
too hard to do within the OSGeo4W environment.  Stuff like selecting ports,
passwords, etc.  We do bundle OSGeo4W with postgres client libraries
used in most apps that applicable.  So you can work with a postgres/postgis
install done another way.

Currently there is no normal way for post-install scripts to ask the user
questions.