[osgeo4w-dev] Express Install : 1 Go

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Feb 22 21:35:32 EST 2010

Yves, comments below:

> Yves Jacolin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried the Express Install this afternoon. I think 'Express'  is not
>> a good name for this ;) "Easy" would be better as the express install
>> is quiet long and take a lot of space. I know that it is not easy to
>> choose package ...

Thanks for your feedback.  Actually we're proposing a change to this
first window, and you can comment and add suggestions in
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/143

> Yves,
>
> :-(
>
>> The problem is when space is not enough, I had some problem as the
>> install process didn't seems to finish correctly, even if OSGeo4w
>> installer didn't say anything. However some conf file always have
>> @osgeo4w@ variable!
>
> Hmm, I haven't experimented with out of space issues, but I'm not surprised
> things go a bit off the rails.
>
>> Anyway, some question: is it possible to preselect in any way some
>> packages which will be installed in the Express way?

maybe make a comment in http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/143 and
join the discussion.

> Yes, but they are pre-selected by us, the OSGeo4W developers.  If the user
> were to select them then it's an advanced install!
>
>> Does the Advanced way is supposed to install dependancies? For
>> exemple, if I check ms_mapserver_ogc (this is not the exactly right
>> name), does apache, mapserver, etc. will be installed? It seems not :/

Thanks for this feedback. I will check into this.  I encourage you to
file your issues that you find in Trac, so they are recorded - for
example, I have created a ticket for this issue, so please add yourself
to the CC of it: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/147

> The advanced install should indeed take care of selecting all the
> dependencies
> unless you do something funky to defeat this.  It is possible that the
> recorded dependencies for some packages are incomplete, which ought to be
> fixed if observed.
>
>> I would like to allow user to install application easily without take
>> care of dependancy neither to get 1Go used with all packages.
>>
>> Finally, why postgresql/postgis is not available. in OSGeo4W? Licence
>> issue?
>
> The post-install setup for Postgres is pretty involved, and it was deemed
> too hard to do within the OSGeo4W environment.  Stuff like selecting ports,
> passwords, etc.  We do bundle OSGeo4W with postgres client libraries
> used in most apps that applicable.  So you can work with a postgres/postgis
> install done another way.
>
> Currently there is no normal way for post-install scripts to ask the user
> questions.

I am in agreement with Frank; however, if you would like to be the
package maintainer of postgres/postgis we could support you.

Thanks for the feedback.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna