[osgeo4w-dev] ANN: Python 2.7.4

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Apr 24 10:55:06 PDT 2013

> Do you have a python27.dll in  your windows\system32 (or syswow64)
 > directory? Renaming it should help (although breaking whatever put it
 > there (ArcGIS?)).

I have a note to myself, not sure when or where I learned it, that when
installing Python for All Users the python*.dll goes to System32 or
SysWOW64, but when installing for just Current User it goes to
PYTHONHOME, e.g. C:\Python27. I expect this likely applies to ArcGIS also.

So for those that can, I advise either installing for Current User or
manually moving the Windows .dll to the application's PYTHONHOME after
install. Personally I think the second option makes the most sense.

If that's not possible you'll need to modify your o4w startup scripts to
strip the Windows system directories from PATH, which may break other
things.

In the past to fix interoperabilty issues with Osgeo4w and ArcGIS 9.x I
uninstalled the Arcgis supplied python and told Arcgis to use o4w's
python. I ran this way for several years. I've not needed to do that yet
for Arc 10.x so am not sure if it still works, but if you'd like to
experiment here's the recipe I used:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/134/can-arcgis-and-osgeo4w-share-the-same-python-install

best,

matt wilkie