[osgeo4w-dev] Python in OSGeo4W

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Dec 3 10:59:40 PST 2013

Hi Paolo,

Osgeo4w Python doesn't register itself with Windows. So it's likely that
o4w python is there, just not visible. It should be located at
C:\Osgeo4w\apps\python27. To test for it, open "Osgeo4W Shell" and run
"python --version".

ArcGIS python and Osgeo4W python are not guaranteed to be so. The ArcGIS
py lives at C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.x. Having both of them in PATH at once
/will /lead to problems sooner or later, though depending on what
modules are used it's possible to trundle along happily for quite awhile.

There's instructions for getting ArcGIS 9.x to use o4w python instead of
it's own at
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/134/can-arcgis-and-osgeo4w-share-the-same-python-install,
which I used successfully for many years. I haven't tried that since we
migrated to 10.x though and am maintaining 3 distinct pythons (Arc, o4w,
python3).

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst