[OSGeoJapan-discuss] Integration of Japanese GIS formats into mainline GDAL ?

Ko Nagase nagase @ georepublic.co.jp
2015年 7月 20日 (月) 06:50:35 PDT

Hi Even,
CC: Hiroo-san, Yamate-san, list

Excuse me for cutting in this topic.

I am neither the developer nor the player, but I tried mext_gdal
test version (gdal110_test.zip) at last weekend and probably I understood
some data related part, so I mention some of your question about datas.
(But, if someone find my mistake, please point it out here...)

> :
> I tried the FGD ogr driver on the file
> https://github.com/msherry/PyXB-1.1.4/blob/master/examples/unicode_jp/data/shift_jis/FG-
> GML-13-RailCL25000-20080331-0001.xml
> (found by googling FG-GML)
>
> It is not recognized by the driver. Looking more closely, the driver seems to
> expect a <GI> element that isn't found in that file. It appears that there are
> several versions of FGD GML, right ? The above file is apparently v3 (since
> there's a v3 schema next to it). Perhaps the driver is v4 (or a previous
> version) ? I tried to remove the test for the presence of <GI> but it crashes
> later during parsing of dates, apparently not liking the <gml:timePosition>
> element within <lfSpanFr>

There are 2 format types (DLD / GML), 2 recent versions(v3 / v4)
and 2 (or more) data types (5/10m mesh DEM / General vector data .etc)
in FGD data,
and current mext_gdal test version seems to support the following pair.

=====
1. FGD driver: DLD v3 (5/10m mesh DEM)
2. FG-GML driver: GML v3 (5/10m mesh DEM)
3. FGD driver: DLD v3 (General vector data)
=====

Above link which you found use GML v3, but it is not 5/10m mesh DEM,
so you couldn't convert it.

> I found this project : http://mizutuu.github.io/jpgisgmlv4togml-converter/  /
> https://github.com/mizutuu/jpgisgmlv4togml-converter
> It includes the schema for FG-GML v4 and I can't see any reference to the <GI>
> element in it either.
> With some trickery related to encoding conversion, I managed to use that
> project to produce a standard GML file that the OGR GML driver handles well :
>
> cat FG-GML-13-RailCL25000-20080331-0001.xml | iconv --from-code=shift-jis --
> to-code=utf-8 | sed "s/Shift_JIS/UTF-8/" | python jpgisgml2gml.py > out.gml

And above GML v4 is not supported (both of 5/10m mesh DEM and
General vector data) by current mext_gdal for now.

> I've also found this site http://nlftp.mlit.go.jp/ksj-e/ and downloaded a few
> datasets. Those I tried are not handled by the OGR FGD driver. Some of them
> look like GML with a particular application schema. They are unfortunately not
> standard enough for the OGR GML driver to understand them out of the box,
> although I believe it could be tweaked to parse them. Their header look like:
>
> <ksj:Dataset gml:id="A09Dataset"
> xmlns:ksj="http://nlftp.mlit.go.jp/ksj/schemas/ksj-app"
> xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml/3.2"
> xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xm
> lns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://nlftp.mlit.go.jp/ksj/schemas/ksj-app KsjAppSchema-
> A09-v3_1.xsd">
>
> There's a shapefile next to them, with apparently same content.

And about above MLIT NLNI(National Land Numerical Information) data,
it is not FGD data...

> So it appears there's a variety of GML-like formats ;-)

Yes, sure...

If you want to use mext_gdal test data, I just uploaded example dummy data
to the following repository. So, please try to use those files.
https://github.com/sanak/dev-notes/tree/master/datas/fgd
(The dummy data location is near by Japan Wakayama prefecture,
but on the pacific ocean.)

Regards,