[Live-demo] next steps

Stefan Hansen stefan.hansen at lisasoft.com
Tue Nov 25 21:16:51 PST 2008

Hi all!

Working on the next version of LISAsoft's Arramagong Live DVD showed
again that life would be so much easier, if we had a repository
providing the various components of such a DVD. Therefore, I would like
to revive the discussion on how we are going to approach this.

In the last couple of days I was talking to Ricardo Pinho, who is
working on GISVM, and he is interested in joining efforts, so the
repository can be used for creating Live CDs as well as for VMs.

Ricardo suggested that one of the first steps would be to get a
meta-packaging agreement to ensure the interoperability of the packages
and the different approaches. That means, we have to avoid things that
might be result in compatibility issues. E.g., atm the standard user on
the FOSS4G08 Live DVD is called "demo", on our current release it's
"ubuntu" and GISVM uses "user"; or GISVM is based on Ubuntu, the Live
DVD on XUbuntu. All this might cause difficulties, we probably should
discuss how we can avoid them.

Any thoughts?

cheers,
stefan

--
Stefan Hansen
Software Engineer

Ph: +61 3 8680 3200 Fax: +61 3 8680 3299 Mob: +61
Level 9, 601 Bourke St, Melbourne Vic 3000

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com