[Live-demo] Version numbers

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Thu Oct 1 17:15:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

> Richardo,
> For the virtual machine, we have been adding "gisvm" into the tag.
> Ie: arramagong-gisvm-2.0.3
> Do
you want gisvm to be specifically associated like the above,
> or do you
want to create a separate gisvm which is different from arramagong?
> Eg: We could have:
> arramgong-vm-2.0.3
> andgisvm-2.0.3.1 or similar.

> What are your thoughts.

You all have done a GREAT WORK on this community project!
(I probably missed a lot because I couldn't keep up with you)

But this is how I see things :

This Live-Demo initiative  had a clear objective: To produce a LiveDVD for FOSS4G 2009! (following the tradition of previous events)

But on that process, you have used VM to build it, to discover the potential of Virtualization.
I really agree that FOSS4G should start to have a VM alternative distribution. Attendees  will benefit a lot from it!

So to make both versions related (because they are!) to the public, I really
think you should use the same prefix:

arramagong-2.0.3-livedvd.iso
arramagong-2.0.3-vm.7z
If you think that using GISVM name can in anyway benefit this release, I will not oppose on using it (for example):

arramagong-2.0.3-gisvm.7z

But I really don't want to be accused of using others work on the benefit of GISVM name.
It has been a pleasure to help you guys, the best I could, and to see the success of it.

And since you have build a VM final version for this event, I really don't see the point of making a GISVM release for it!
Unless it has a completely new approach, like GISVM Server! (that's why I have released it)

GISVM has it's own life, and I will try to make it last for many other FOSS events.
Sometime after the FOSS4G2009 there will be a new GISVM version out of the existing scripts!
Because there are many things to improve...

In the mean time I will download  2.0.3 version, and hope to have deep  look on it this weekend.
And you can count on my comments and suggestions if I find anything to wrong.

Cheers,
Ricardo Pinho
http://gisvm.com