[Live-demo] Re: logs for 3.0alpha2 release

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 13 22:47:20 PST 2010

Hamish wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>> You asked for another live dvd release. I've managed to
>> build an 3.0alpha2 release. Logs are attached.
>
> great!
>

> Package         Kilobytes used by install script
>
> deegree         412632
> kosmo           313368
> udig            259772
> geokettle       87372
> mapserver       55196
> openjump        18648
> geoserver       12016
> ossim           11380
> geonetwork      5312
> mapnik          668
> desktop         624
> main_docs       260
> mapfish         128
> maptiler        20
> osm             12
> mb-system       4
> marble          4
> postgres        0
> pgrouting       0
> main            0
> gpsdrive        0
> qgis            -16
> java            -100
> apache2         -536
> grass           -4084
> R               -4496
> gvsig           -11872
>

> so just less than half seem to be working. (although downloaded data
> will show up as false positives if you just go by size)
>

>> It seems like the sun java was not installed. I haven't
>> looked to find out why.
>
> there is historical brokenness left over in the VM from before
> you even start:

> Starting: ./setup.sh
> Hit http://au.archive.ubuntu.com karmic Release.gpg
> Get:8 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/universe Sources [20.7kB]
> Get:9 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/multiverse Packages [6,942B]
> Get:10 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com karmic-updates/multiverse Sources [3,831B]
> Fetched 332kB in 6s (51.1kB/s)
> Reading package lists...
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
>   gvsig: Depends: libgdal1-1.5.0 (>= 1.5.0) but it is not installed
>          Depends: libstdc++5 but it is not installable
>          Depends: sun-java5-jre (>= 1.5.0) but it is not installable
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>

> the alpha1 build tried to bring those three in, but they no longer
> exist in karmic.
>
> is it possible to start it with a clean slate? (or else go mucking in
> fixing up the half-installed obsolete packages)
>

> Hamish

I'm downloading and setting up my base vm for 9.10 now and should have a
clean build attempt on Fri (US PST). Once I get my server setup I should
be able to do fresh runs 1-2x a day as needed.

I'm still poking at alternate ways to build the disc, and reading the up
to date recommendations from Ubuntu on the topic. Depending on the
approach a build-bot is a good goal if not for this version then for the
next.