[Live-demo] Re: Three weeks till Geospatial Live DVD 3.0 feature freeze

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:08:56 PST 2010

Jorge, Javi, Jose,

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:

> There is deb package for gvSIG 1.9 stable[1] so I'll try to get the
> scripts updated and tested on next release.

Great, I look forward to it.
I've updated the status spreadsheet with the 1.9stable version for 3.0
at:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdGIzd0VLLTBpQVJuNVlHMlBWSDhKLXc&hl=en_GB

>> Well, gvSIG mobile runs on linux... but without ECW support. I can
>> create a script for it, sure. There is also a non-official[1] version
>> developed by a colleague that runs on Linux devices like OpenMoko and
>> Maemo and Linux desktops[2].
>>
>> Do you think if it could be interesting for the live DVD?
>>
>> Cheers
>> [1] http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com/
>> [2] http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com/docs/

Yes, I think that the gvsigmobile would definitely be of interest to
people. As you mention, it fills a whole in the OSGeo stack of software.

For the core LiveDVD, we would only be looking for a stable bundle,
however, I think we should also consider having harder to find "beta"
software on the DVD too.

Maybe instead of finding the software on the desktop, and in the pull
down lists under:
/root/gis/gvsig

it is found under:
/root/gis/bleedingEdge/gvsigMobile

I suggest write an installer for gvsigMobile, and we will find a place
to put it.

>>> The LiveDVD is targeted to run on a laptop, so it probably would not be
>>> appropriate for the liveDVD as it is, but it would be appropriate to
>>> have it run inside a mobile platform emulator. Does such an emulator exist?
>>>

> Well I have gvSIG mobile on my linux and is a good and fast basic GIS
> viewer. There is not so much soft of this kind on the foss4g realm, so
> maybe it has its value. The footprint on disk is 11MB.
>
> gvSIG mobile runs on a J2SE standard machine as it's based on the CDC
> profile of J2ME witch is more or less a subset of J2SE 1.4, so I don't
> think an emulator is needed (and I don't know any Windows Mobile
> emulator for linux). In fact, the gvSIG mobile developers work using
> the J2SE VM on their workstations.
>
> The non-official version developed by Juan Lucas and others has some
> nice features non-present on the standard, taking profit of linux
> specific capabilities like using gpsd.
>
> I can install one, another or both, is up to us, as a group to decide
> what to include, isn't it?

Yes, this is a group decision, and we will probably go with the
recommendation of the gvsigMobile team with regards to what is put on
the DVD.

My suggestion is that we do install an application in the same form that
it is available on a windows platform (without linux improvements), as
this is how most people will get to view it if they install it on their
applications.