[Live-demo] Last Call for PostGIS Datasets

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Mon Jul 19 01:40:35 PDT 2010

Hi Brian,
Please also have a look at OpenStreetMap-in-a-Box
(http://dev.ifs.hsr.ch/osminabox). It contains Open Street Map data in a
database structure which can be used for GIS operations with PostGIS. It would
allow to include a local dataset on each DVD without changing data structure
each time. I support to include the Natural Earth dataset. But I'm not a big
fan of special local datasets. We're already struggling with the Spanish
dataset for the WMS shootout
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2010#Datasets).
Regards
Pirmin

Am Montag, 19. Juli 2010, um 05.41:49 schrieb Brian Hamlin:
> On Jul 18, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> > Brian,
> > I hear what you are saying about the natural earth having bland data
> > to work with.
> >
> > I suggest that since we haven't much time for this release, go with
> > the natural earth dataset, and potentially get a better dataset with
> > the next release.
> >
> > Best to go for the simple and achievable right now, and improve later.
>
> true
> and, minutes ago, Mark Leslie initiated a contact with someone in Spain
> regarding a decent data set...
>
> how about...
> I go ahead and add Natural Earth..
> it will be there in any event, with little penalty, since its only 12MB
>
> then in the next few days
> if something spanish-friendy shows up, we can work with that
>
> Somehow, parcel records from Oregon seem uniquely out of place for
> Barcelona
>
> :-)
>
> best regards from Berkeley
>    -Brian
>
> > On 19/07/10 11:32, Brian Hamlin wrote:
> >> Hi All-
> >>
> >>    I am looking at the 10m Natural Earth vectors as a PostGIS
> >>
> >> database..
> >> its very compact.. perhaps 12 MB when loaded.. on the other hand,
> >> there aren't a lot of interesting corners in there, from a data point
> >> of view..
> >> (not too surprising, since it is a visual treatment, first and
> >> foremost)
> >>
> >>  The basic dataset in the examples from the LiveDVD v3 was 'medford'
> >>
> >> Medford is a rich, detailed and interesting set.. about 70-80MB when
> >> loaded..
> >>
> >>   At some point soon, the examples, quickstart, or equivalent are
> >>
> >> going to have to be written for the LiveDVD v4 such that it refers to
> >> something in PostGIS. Right now we have the osm_local, Barcelona,
> >> which, while great for rendering via Mapnik, is a particularly poor
> >> choice for general PostGIS demonstration..
> >>
> >>  So, I am wondering aloud what set(s) to use...
> >>
> >> (I am not going to dig up some cool Spain oriented set in time, of
> >> that I am sure..)
> >> (the Sydney set from v3 is not worth re-using)
> >>
> >> -Brian
> >>
> >> ==
> >> Brian Hamlin
> >> planetwork.net
> >> OSGeo California Chapter
> >> (415) 717-4462 cell

> > Think Globally, Fix Locally
> > Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
> > http://www.lisasoft.com

Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
http://www.sourcepole.com