[Live-demo] OSGeo Live website ready to go Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:51:13 PDT 2010

On 09/06/10 12:42, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I've done some tinkering on the website, however there are a few
> blockers I could use some help on.
>
> 1. The project description template needs to be updated/propagated

I'm anticipating replacing/migrating project description documents to
the project overview document, as per the
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/descriptions/postgis_overview.odt

So I suggest not spending too much time addressing this yet.
(We will need to work out the more difficult issue of processing Project
Overviews which will contain images)
> I modified the deegree_description to demonstrate and test
> a. update css ref to osgeolive.css
> b. update banner ref to  ../images/banner.png
> c. remove all css embedded in the header (likely a hold over from the
> conversion from office docs, and big problem)
> d. add class="package" to the opening div tag of the main body text
>
> I think c&  d highlights why we can't use office files if we want to
> maintain consistent styling, unless we strip out lots of things.

Good observations, and something I'd like to understand soon, but don't
have an answer yet.
> 2. Quick question for Cameron and Hamish, the current files for the site
> are in svn but there appears to be an .svn/lock on the server so I can't
> do an svn up
I suspect that the lock file is a consequence of me updating the server
when on the bus and loosing a connection or similar.

Feel free to remove the lock or directory and trigger a refresh.

>   - did we ever setup the auto update and is this why I can't
> do it?

I haven't set up an auto update, and I suggest we don't set one up.
We will often want to hold updates to the website till we have fixed all
package updates or similar. Then we'd manually update the website.

> svn ishttp://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/website/
> current site ishttp://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/  (Not updated yet from
> svn)
> when ready files will be moved to live.osgeo.org
>

> 3. How do we plan to keep these pages in sync with the docs on the disc,
> I fixed an error in the VM tools info on the main page in one, do I have
> to do it in the other now too?

I expect we will update the website separately to the main build
process. Primarily we will change the website on the same day we release
a LiveDVD, but we will not be updating during the build process.