[Live-demo] OSGeo Live website ready to go Live

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jun 9 18:40:09 PDT 2010

On 06/08/2010 08:51 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> On 09/06/10 12:42, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> I've done some tinkering on the website, however there are a few
>> blockers I could use some help on.
>>
>> 1. The project description template needs to be updated/propagated
>>
> I'm anticipating replacing/migrating project description documents to
> the project overview document, as per the
> https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/doc/descriptions/postgis_overview.odt

Well so at this point, getting all of the descriptions updated with the
new header section and div tag (see below) the site is ready. I do plan
to continue to improve things like the download page, but overall it's
good to go.

> So I suggest not spending too much time addressing this yet.
> (We will need to work out the more difficult issue of processing Project
> Overviews which will contain images)
>> I modified the deegree_description to demonstrate and test
>> a. update css ref to osgeolive.css
>> b. update banner ref to  ../images/banner.png
>> c. remove all css embedded in the header (likely a hold over from the
>> conversion from office docs, and big problem)
>> d. add class="package" to the opening div tag of the main body text
>>
>> I think c&  d highlights why we can't use office files if we want to
>> maintain consistent styling, unless we strip out lots of things.
>>
> Good observations, and something I'd like to understand soon, but don't
> have an answer yet.

Well so as stated above this is the only blocker from switching the site
over. These docs need to be regenerated, we could do a find and replace
for the header etc in current docs and then worry more about how to fix
the future docs process. (Actually that sounds good, now to remember any
easy way to batch it, sed?)

>> 3. How do we plan to keep these pages in sync with the docs on the disc,
>> I fixed an error in the VM tools info on the main page in one, do I have
>> to do it in the other now too?
>>

> I expect we will update the website separately to the main build
> process. Primarily we will change the website on the same day we release
> a LiveDVD, but we will not be updating during the build process.

But will be able to simply copy and paste, or maybe use svn tag to put
the docs into the website part of the svn tree? I guess that means for
now I will make fixes in the livedvd build part of svn and if I feel
it's super important port it over myself. (Though they don't seem
completely in sync at the moment)