[Live-demo] new apps for 4.0

Gavin Treadgold gt at kestrel.co.nz
Wed Mar 24 03:00:36 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-24, at 18:59 , Hamish wrote:
> For the September release I propose that we invite the Sahana and
> Ushahidi projects to take a spot on the live-{dvd|vm|usb|demo}.
>
> http://www.sahanafoundation.org
> http://www.ushahidi.com
>
> while there are currently no formal ties to OSGeo that I know of, both
> have a strong mapping component, so maybe we could start creating some.
>
> regards,
> Hamish

Thanks for the invite Hamish :)

(yes I've been lurking here ever since, and have been meaning to get in touch with Cameron about this - alas GSOC has rolled around again and Bitner and I are quickly getting neck deep in that :D )

Hamish is right that we have no formal ties with OSGeo, but we do have informal ones, including David Bitner who is I believe a member and VP with OSGeo. I've also cc'd Brian Herbert from Ushahidi in case you don't have any contacts with them yet. Brian - what we've talked about in the past is getting Sahana on the OSGeo Live{dvd|vm|usb|demo} so that we can show off the geospatial, and also have a self-contained distro with full geo stack.

It think there would be a lot of interest in having a demo for these systems that was able to build upon the live-* you're building, and having Sahana (we'll probably have two versions to include) and Ushahidi (this may be a little harder given that Ushahidi is built around a hardware connection with a mobile phone). Brian may be able to help more, or point in the right direction of what would be required to get Ushahidi set up on a live-*. Sahana and Ushahidi are increasingly working closer together so bundling us all up into a distro with a lot of geospatial goodness underneath certainly makes a lot of sense (from a Sahana perspective).

What steps would you want to take to work towards this? Build up a plan in a wiki to start with? See if we can find some people in out respective communities that would be interested in working on this integration project? Let me know, and I'll go back to our community and see if we can find some folks that would be interested in working on this.

Cheers Gav