[Live-demo] new apps for 4.0

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 04:05:26 PDT 2010

Brian Herbert wrote:
> What do you need from us to get Ushahidi on the stack?

The main thing is to have someone document how to install it on a modern
version of Ubuntu, with an eye towards having those steps incorporated
into an automated script. The September FOSS4G release will be based on
xUbuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). If it is already packaged for Ubuntu then
you are already 95% done.

see instructions here:
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Build

and working examples here:
  https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/

Also you should nominate a representative from your community to be the
contact person and script maintainer. (often there are minor tweaks needed
between Ubuntu versions)

After the script is written you should think about things like sample
datasets and what documentation/tutorials to include.

> Ushahidi doesn't necessarily require the Internet or a special hardware
> connection to get going. It would require web access to get SMS,
> Twitter, etc. working, however.

There may well be an internet connection, but we can't guarantee it will be used with one so we have tried to avoid depending on one. (help pages link
to on disc docs instead of web-links, etc.)  To date we have included the
standard wifi packages, but not non-free firmware blobs.

A last thing to note is that this may be called a -demo, but this is not
stripped-down demoware. Wherever possible, the software on the disc has
been set up to be fully functional and usable in the classroom and
(in a pinch) in the field as well. The DVD/Virtual Machine/USB stick could
quite plausibly be a suitable install method for a respectable GIS
workstation.

regards,
Hamish