[Live-demo] Re: [Workshops] Anyone want to use the OSGeo Live DVD/VM during workshops?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:31:53 PDT 2010

Oscar Fonts wrote:
> Hamish et al et al,
>
> (on saving memory to fit OSGeo Live in a 4Gb stick for FOSS4G)

>> (where possible; it would be nice to focus on data near the host
>> city of the conference as we did for Sydney street maps)
>>

> Raf (CCed) is coordinating efforts to have a local free geodataset
> ready for the conference, with as much heterogeneus data as possible
> in a given geographic domain near Barcelona. Dealing with public
> organizations is neither easy, not fast, and gets worse when asking
> for a license change towards freedom. We cannot guarantee anything so
> far, but we're at it, at in the right track. Thanks Raf, once more!

I'm more inclined to ask projects to use global datasets for OSGeo Live,
and OPTIONALLY use local datasets AS WELL.
There is going to be quite a bit of work asking projects to set up a
demo with a new dataset, and I don't want to have to go though this
every year. I'd prefer to get it right once, then move onto other tasks
in 2011.

> In the meanwhile, let's
>
> a) Try to compile a Lucid distro working with the 2010
> workshop&tutorial apps -- need someone to step forward and coordinate
> (Cameron? Alex?) - afraid of continuous cross-postings (as this one,
> for instance :S).

I'm volunteering to coordinate and chase projects for material. I think
Alex and Hamish are working through the process of building a release
against the latest release.
> b) LOC to decide if we are going for USB or DVD, based on budget
> viability -- LOC going through abstract selection nightmare right now,
> so please be patient :)

Thanks for chasing this.