[Live-demo] Problems / mistakes in live DVD

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:28:55 PDT 2010

  activityworkshop (do you have a normal name?),

This feedback is pure gold. Thankyou. Would you mind writing each issue
up as a bug report. Details are here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Issue_Tracker

Ensure that you identify the project which the issue applies to, so that
we can point the projects at the issues they need to solve.

A few comments added inline.

On 20/10/2010 1:34 AM, activityworkshop wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been playing around with this live DVD (4.0) and came across some
> typos and mistakes.  I fixed the typos which I found in the docs via
> subversion, but there are some other things I found too.  I'm hoping
> that this list is a reasonable place to post them - maybe they can be
> forwarded to the right people somehow?
>
> I'll split them up into serious ones (crashes or things not working),
> cosmetic ones (where things work but look wrong), and wishes
> (suggestions for improvement).  Please see this list as trying to be
> constructive, rather than negative!
>
> Serious ones
> ========
> Keyboard selection at login doesn't work - the layout is always US.
> But keyboard selection from the top panel after login does work
> Marble - if you cancel the generation of a navigation layer (eg the
> satellite view), Marble crashes with a "Floating Point Exception"
> Viking - if you zoom out a long way and zoom in again, the scale bar
> gets completely confused and the loaded track & map no longer appear.
> The Ruler tool then draws lots of lines all over the screen.  Closing
> and reopening Viking solves the problem.
> JOSM - The top of the window is obscured by Xfce's top panel.  That
> also means the window can only be moved or resized by using the
> keyboard.  (Seems to be a general java problem rather than specific to
> JOSM, as other java programs do this too).
> Menu item "Mapnik introduction" under "Spatial Tools" - can't find
> /usr/local/share/osgeolive-docs/doc/mapnik_description.html
> From the welcome page, links to MacInstallers and WindowsInstallers
> are broken, because links at /usr/local/share/*Installers point to
> /media/cdrom/*Installers which are not found when running as a live
> DVD (these links work when browsing the DVD from another system).
I've been working on the documentation system, and this bug should now
be fixed in svn. (The links are only inserted if the directory exists).

> Cosmetic ones
> ==========
> On the "about Xubuntu" screen, it says 9.10, but the system seems to
> be based on lucid 10.04
Feel free to update the docs in svn.
> In the "Other" category of the start menu, many of the items are
> duplicated, making the list really long so that it scrolls off the
> screen.  Maybe there's a way to make each entry only appear once?
> Some of the categorisation of programs in the start menu is odd,
> particularly the Education and Graphics sections.
> Menu item "OpenLayers examples" goes to a raw directory listing
> (including .js and .css files) rather than a nice index page.  Perhaps
> the descriptions at openlayers.org/dev/examples/ could be adapted into
> a html index?
> Viking - in the "go to waypoint" function, the dialog's title says
> "Create", but no creation is going on here.
> Menu item OsssimPlanet - I think it should be called Ossim, not Osssim.
> uDig - splash screen mentions the "Eclipse Foundaiton", also having
> two sets of user guide pages makes things confusing.
>
> Wishes
> =====
> Don't really need "latest headlines" link on Firefox bookmarks bar,
> could be replaced by more OSGeo-related links.
> Firefox's history items from August could be deleted
We haven't worked out how you can set bookmarks from a script. If you
are able to do some research into this, and work out what is required,
and either write a script, or describe how to fix it so someone else can
write a script, that would be a great help.