[Live-demo] Re: minor ossim install script error

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 22:48:32 PST 2011

Hamish wrote:
> OSSIM:
>
> wget http://ossim.telascience.org/ossimdata/Documentation/OSSIM_Whitepaper.pdf
>
> this fails as ossim.telascience.org no longer exists.

Brian supplied the pdf from the last build, and I've
uploaded that (along with some new fyi OMAR pdfs) to
 http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/data/ossim/docs/pdfs/
and uploaded the install script to match the new
home of the white paper pdf.

those pdfs should really be in
 http://download.osgeo.org/ossim/docs/pdfs/
but I'll let the ossim -devs take care of that.

in looking at the ossim-1.8.6 install script I
noticed a few other things, fixed some of them, and
commented on the rest:

#FIXME: Please do not use "chmod 777". Add to the "users" group and chmod g+w instead.

#apt-get --force was used. Is there a bloody good
reason for needing that? It could break the disc.

#FIXME: do not checkout directly to $USER_HOME. Use "svn export" to /usr/local/share/data/
  instead, or svn co to /tmp/build_ossim/ then copy dir to /usr/local/share/data/ and symlink into $HOME as needed.

#FIXME: Do not use chmod 777. see above.

#FIXME: python install fails. does the python-sphinx package need to be installed first?

#FIXME: wget -N is not compatible with -O. (no-op)

#FIXME: Another set of "Do not use chmod 777".

and why both install_ossim.sh (ver 1.8.3, unused)
and install_ossim-1.8.6.sh (used)? can we get rid
of the old one and rename the new one?

'svn co' directly into $USER_HOME/ is the worst
of those problems (wastes disc and RAM space).

thanks,
Hamish

ps- Massimo (or any other Italiano) if you have a
couple minutes could you have a look at the Italian
main index.html page translation? right now it
doesn't exist which totally breaks that locale.
see  http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/
 thanks!