[Live-demo] Any autoconf gurus in the house?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 01:23:29 PST 2011

Johan wrote:
> I'm not an autoconf guru, but that's no problem, the project
> is not using autoconf :-)

[Hamish scurries off to have another peek behind the build script]
oops/

> Quite a lot of changes are needed if you want to switch to a
> shared build. 246 lines in the makefiles contain direct
> references to a static build:
>
> grep '\.a' $(find . -name Makefile) |wc
>     246    1220   19466

hmm, taking that grep a little further,
src$ grep '\.a' $(find . -name Makefile) | tr ' ' '\n'  | \
  grep '\.a' |  sed -e 's/^.*\///' | cut -f1 -d: | sort | uniq
5.0.alpha02
libfftw3.a
libgmt.a
libgmtps.a
libmbaux.a
libmbgsf.a
libmbio.a
libmbproj.a
libmbps.a
libmbview.a
libmbxgr.a
libmr1pr.a
libproj.a
libpsl.a
libsapi.a

libproj, fftw3, gmt, etc are generic, which leaves about 7-8
actual libraries to worry about. and a huge pile of end-user
command line apps (very similar to GMT). But if the libraries
were built I think that would be enough to encourage the
upstream community to knock away at the apps. It has been a long
standing and reoccurring wish.

> Although the changes needed are pretty generic and could be
> scripted, I would only make the changes if sufficient people
> can test the new build.

I'm sure some in the upstream community would help, but to be
honest I'd even settle for some hints of what that script would
look like, and knock away at it bit by bit. Seeing it's not a
simple change and we are so far along in the dev cycle it
probably isn't appropriate for our 4.5 live disc release, but
never too soon to start getting ready for the next one!

thanks,
Hamish