[Live-demo] dataset audit

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jun 1 22:19:22 PDT 2011

On 06/01/2011 03:54 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I've just dug through the quickstarts and some directories looking for
> data files, and found the following. (I used a manual search technique,
> so may have missed some data files).
>
> I suggest that we should reduce the following directories down to:
> /usr/local/share/data/<dataset> which is accessible via /home/user/data
> Any objections?
>
> I'm also interested to know whether we save anything by compressing into
> zip or tar.gz files (as the ISO image is compressed)

Probably not and it would add complexity for the end user.

> I also wonder whether udig, geopublishing and pgrouting can use the
> common datset.

pgrouting could use the osm data but would require scripts to be run to
build topology on such a dataset. I think the gzip file provided with it
was specifically for people to learn all the steps in building topology
so that's a maybe.

afaik the other 2 apps should be easily able to share data with all the
other applications.

> /home/user/grassdata
GRASS data is imported into GRASS format and the grassdata folder is a
GRASSDB with Mapsets and locations which is a folder structure GRASS
relies on. I would hesitate to mess with this or put other things in it.