[Live-demo] Docs audit

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:11:22 PDT 2011

Hamish,
I'm thinking that we should make all our osgeo-live docs available via:
http://localhost/... (and making this match http://live.osgeo.org/... )

We can either do this by moving our docs to /var/www
Or alternatively, making /usr/local/share/osgeolive-docs our root apache
directory.

I think propose that /usr/share/docs is available via
http://localhost/docs, probably by providing a symbolic link.
Ditto for /usr/local/share/doc and /usr/local/data/

The advantage of doing this, is that quickstarts will now be able to
provide a relative link to docs and data, which can be matched at
http://live.osgeo.org

Any comments on the right or wrong way to do this?

On 03/06/11 06:47, Hamish wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>> I've also looked for documentation
>> which references the osgeo-live filesystem and have found
>> the following (again I may be missing some).
>>
>> Hamish, what should be our policy where docs should be
>> stored? Maybe:
>> /usr/local/share/doc/<application>/<docs>
> just to note that the Debian policy (and so ubuntu implementation)
> puts docs for all official packages into
>   /usr/share/doc/<package name>/
> and often<package name>  has been split off into "<package>-doc".
> e.g. look at the gmt packages:
>   ls /usr/share/doc/gmt*
> and the thousands of dirs (1 for each installed pkg) in
> /usr/share/doc/.
>
> so your proposal mimics that in local/, which is fine.
>
> On the other hand, we sometime use /usr/local/<app name>/ for
> data + docs, and for something like mbsystem it seems fine to
> keep them all together .. why hunt elsewhere on the filesystem
> if you don't have to?
>
> ..either way seems fine to me. maybe if docs are stand-alone
> put them in share, if lots of other stuff is already in local/app
> then no need to split them up?
>
> fwiw I find /usr/local/share/<app>  for data and *publicly needed*
> support files a bit buried so harder to discover casually, but
> don't really have anything against share/ beyond that itch.
>
> there is also /opt which we don't seem to use much. (not that I'm
> suggesting we do, but to put all the options on the table)
>

>> HTML
>> /usr/share/doc/gmt/html
> (official debian package's placement, right?)
>
>> /usr/local/share/opencpn/doc/help_en_US.html
>> /usr/local/share/opencpn/doc/tips.html
> fyi I have been working on official debian packaging for opencpn,
> you can expect the above custom placement to be gone next time.
>
>> /var/www/ushahidi/readme.html
> seems like it needs to be there
>

> Hamish

Geospatial Director