[Live-demo] 52nSOS and Postgres on a Raw XUbuntu 11.04

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 18:00:20 PDT 2011

Brian wrote:
> I believe Postgres 9 and PostGIS 1.5.3 will be our target
> database environment..
> though these changes are not yet committed..

What we have to work with on Natty is Postgres 8.4.8 + PostGIS
1.5.2:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=postgresql
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=postgis
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable?field.series_filter=natty

even if alternate mainstream .debs of PGql+PGis exist for Natty
(do they?), the rest of the ubuntugis package cascade hasn't
been built for them.

The most important thing is that "it just works". being up to
date with the latest bleeding edge version is secondary.
This is core infrastructure for the disc & IMO we must be
very conservative with the toolchain.

best,
Hamish