[Live-demo] Will gdal 1.9 break your application on osgeolive?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Jan 30 10:46:00 PST 2012

I confirm that the GDAL C API and ABI is stable (in the whole 1.X series). The
GDAL C++ API is also stable, but the ABI not. So you can substitute a GDAL
version by a later without recompiling user applications, provided they stick
to the C API.

> An outstanding problem previously was external libTIFF vs internal libTIFF
> I asked FrankW in December if he could exert postive influence on the
> packaging
> in UbuntuGIS to move to a newer GDAL and at the same time resolve the
> problems
>
> I will try to look into this and see the status as best as I can

GDAL 1.9 has indeed 2 new options ( --with-rename-internal-libtiff-symbols=yes
and --with-rename-internal-libgeotiff-symbols=yes ) that can be used in
conjunction with --with-libtiff=internal and --with-geotiff=internal to
completely keep internal libtiff and libgeotiff invisible from the rest of the
world, so that you can link an application with GDAL and a different version of
those libraries (typically libtiff 3.8 or 3.9).