[Live-demo] uDig and open-jdk (was Which version of openjdk...)

Frank Gasdorf fgdrf at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 29 04:08:33 PDT 2012

Some facts:
* gdal is installed in version 1.8.0 here /user/bin (doesn't fit for
the imageio extension used in udig)
* udig 1.2.2 doesn't have any gdal libs in the bundled JRE (BTW: the
windows installer for 32bit has the libs in folder JRE/bin
(gdaljni.dll, gdal17.dll, gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll and so on))

IMHO we should not care about gdal extensions at this point but should
bundle a much more consistent udig in the future ;)
I couldn't find any references in the udig overview/quickstart
documents - but we could add a link to
http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/gdal_overview.html in the future.
How about parallel installation of two or more different gdal versions
side by side? In this case we could add the path to the udig.sh shell
script. To be fair, I don't have many experiences with libraries side
by side installations of such libraries. Who can help?

What's your opinion?
- Leave gdal as an open task? I would prefer to do so ...
- Jody, can we cross-check the used JRE for Linux 32bit, I'm wondering
why gdal libs are abstinent ...
- How can identify projects which uses JAI/imageIO and would have
trouble with an installation in "OPEN_JDK_HOME"/libs/ext

I am ready to help if we set up the next steps (installers, tests,
etc) but would refrain to upgrade udig to 1.3.x series.

Cheers, Frank