[Live-demo] JAI - was packaging Java based OSGeo applications

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Mon Jun 17 09:28:42 PDT 2013

Hi All -

  I am not in the Java world, but this license issue raised by Johan sounds potentially serious..

I am a geoserver user.. it is my understanding that JAI us explicitly optional in Geoserver.
I dont know the details of the other Java apps, but the Geoserver case, and the license
cited, causes me to question the statement that all Java geo apps depend on JAI.

  The conclusion was that all Java packaging could stop as a dead-end because of the JAI.
I would like to see a spreadsheet with Java apps and their JAI requirements to evaluate
this statement. My feeling is that it cannot be true.

 best regards from Berkeley, California

--
Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter