[Live-demo] [Ubuntu] Fwd: Re: [OSGeo] #1238: shp2pgsql-gui is missing

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 23:20:47 PDT 2013

Alex wrote:

> Ok, Evan R pointed out the postgis-gui package which I hadn't seen
> before.

where does it come from? I don't see it either in the Debian or Ubuntu
official package archives.

> I went ahead an used that but noticed that it doesn't put a menu
> item in or show in unity app searches. Now the question is where to file
> that enhancement request. ie. A gui is nice but kind odd when you have
> to know the CLI call to launch it.

It's pretty easy, just make a postgis-gui.desktop file and in the
packaging tell it to install to /usr/share/applications/ [do that in
debian/packagename.install]. The menus will auto-assemble based on
the Categories=; line. See many of the install_*.sh scripts on the
osgeo live dvd for examples of what it should look like, or just browse
around the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files.

full details on the freedesktop.org site, but they seem to like to
keep people on their toes by maintaining a moving target for the spec.
(to be fair I'm not sure how much of that is them and how much is due
to gnome whims)

regards,
Hamish