[Live-demo] Motion: merge GSoC-2015 PR

massimo di stefano massimodisasha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:39:59 PST 2016

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 5:59 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> -1 from me for including all python notebooks on the upcoming OSGeo-Live 9.5 release in a few days. I don't think we can make it ready in time.
>
> This is based on my preliminary review of the gsoc iso:
> http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/osgeo/gisvm/gisvm/9.5nightly/osgeo-live-nightly-gsoc-amd64-c83a060.iso <http://osprey.ucdavis.edu/downloads/osgeo/gisvm/gisvm/9.5nightly/osgeo-live-nightly-gsoc-amd64-c83a060.iso>

the are are several commit already after that iso

> I haven't done a comprehensive review, but have reviewed enough to feel the initial user experience when looking at notebooks is close, but is yet to meet our OSGeo-Live presentation standards.
>
> My comments so far:
>
> 1. Quickstart review comments haven't been addressed yet, although hopefully Massimo should have that complete soon.

the quickstart and overview with your comments addressed:

https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/en/quickstart/jupyter_quickstart.rst <https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/en/quickstart/jupyter_quickstart.rst>

https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/en/overview/jupyter_overview.rst <https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/en/overview/jupyter_overview.rst>

> 2. Structure of notebook docs directory should be by project, rather than singled out as a GSoC directory, then by project. Long term we want GSoC content to be part of the core OSGeo-Live offering.

That’s a personal thought, you had 10 months to think about this.

> 3. We are missing an obvious Table of Contents.

it is here:

https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-Notebooks/blob/osgeolive/index.ipynb <https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-Notebooks/blob/osgeolive/index.ipynb>

> 4. I've randomly picked iris_basics.ipynb, running step 2, I get a warning about a library being deprecated. (It still works, but this is the sort of thing that should be cleaned up before presenting to a new user).

i’m not contributing to this, but it is just a warning.

> 5. There should be an introductory notebook which starts with "Press the RUN CELL button to see the output of [In] cells”.

it is here:

https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-Notebooks/blob/bf2fcb56480738796cf8a0e0a1a1fc5195f96e92/introduction-to-jupyter-notebook.ipynb <https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-Notebooks/blob/bf2fcb56480738796cf8a0e0a1a1fc5195f96e92/introduction-to-jupyter-notebook.ipynb>

> 6.1 I've found a number of spelling and grammar errors in the first GSoC notebook I reviewed. Nothing major, but they should be identified and cleaned up all the same.
> For example, this is the first paragraph of the GDAL/OGR Quickstart (which is the first Docbook I looked at):
>
> "The first Notebook is dedicared [SPELLING] to the use of the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library GDAL [USE BRACES AROUND FIRST USE OF CAPITALS] from the bash command line. GDAL is a powerful translator library for raster and vector geospatial data formats [INSERT FULL STOP] it presents a single raster abstract data model and vector abstract data model to the calling application for all supported formats.”
>
> 6.2 In the same notebook, I found:
> "#unfinished - need to add ogr2ogr features yet, I'm considering to split this notebook in 2 parts (one for gdal and one for ogr2ogr) i'll study the gdal tutorial released recently"
>
> Massimo notes that he is fixing this, but my point is that I'm assuming that if reviewed, similar issues would be found in other notebooks.

they are fixed:

https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-Notebooks/blob/osgeolive/GSoC-2015/Access%20to%20Geospatial%20data/GDAL-OGR%20Quickstart.ipynb <https://github.com/epifanio/OSGeoLive-Notebooks/blob/osgeolive/GSoC-2015/Access%20to%20Geospatial%20data/GDAL-OGR%20Quickstart.ipynb>

> 7. The term "IPython" and "Jupyter" is used interchangeably, which would be confusing for a new user, and I'd be interested to understand if is technically incorrect?

where?
if you refer to the the code, that’s normal ipython is part of jupyter.

> 8. Quantity of material to review and short time period. We have days left before the our final release candidate is due, and multiple notebooks (say 20+ ?) which I suggest need review to get to same level of review as Project Overviews and Quoickstarts.

the GSoC notebooks have been reviewed,
you’re finding typos ok, my apology … as a non native speaker
but again, you had 10 months to think about this

if you find more, i’m open to fix them ASAP

> 9. Also on quantity of material, we are introducing a maintenance load for future OSGeo-Live releases, and we are as yet to build up a community of volunteers willing to maintain these notebooks. Massimo and Brian have been doing a great job creating these notebooks, but are already under time pressure to update for this release, let alone future releases. I think we need to reach out to all projects with the offer of:
> "A notebook has been created for your project. If you are prepared to review it now, and commit to verifying it is still valid before each OSGeo-Live release, then we will include the notebook on OSGeo-Live.”

As per the GSoC notebooks, I think I’m demonstrating that you should not worry about their maintenance.

I addressed your comment, I can’t speak for the notebooks under the projects directory.

My recommendation is:

we can rename the GSoC-2015 directory .. perhaps with the name of the idea itself which is:

Open Source Geospatial Notebooks.

then if you have concerns about the “projects" directory, we can comment it out from the table of contents and leave it on disc.

note the quick start and overview they both uses the GSoC material, so they will not be affected.