[Live-demo] OSGeo-Live 11.0 - should kosmo continue to be included?

Sergio Baños Calvo listas at saig.es
Thu Jun 8 00:55:04 PDT 2017

Hi Cameron.

It's almost imposible to merge the projects again in one only: we have
done so many changes to the JUMP core code that it differs a lot from
the original one and can be merged back to other JUMP branches.

We share a base common, so some plugins and tools can be translated from
one project to another (e.g.: some Kosmo CAD tools have been ported to
OpenJUMP a few weeks ago, and some OpenJUMP plugins were translated and
added to Kosmo Desktop a few years ago). But the changes done to the
common core avoids any possibility to merge both in only one project.

Some examples of the changes:

  * Datasources: Kosmo Desktop uses an "on demmand" architecture, we
    don't load the whole layer into memory as JUMP do.
  * Projections: Kosmo Desktop allows vectorial (and raster for the new
    version) on the fly reprojection. This is not possible in JUMP, as
    projections aren't taken into account.
  * Rendering engine: Kosmo Desktop uses a different rendering engine.
  * Extension mechanism: Similar between both projects, but we have
    pushed some changes that are not valid for OpenJUMP.
  * Project files: Totally different approaches.
  * Simbology: Totally different approaches, Kosmo uses a simbology very
    close to the SLD standard

Regards,

>>> http://live.osgeo.org

E-mail: sbc at saig.es