[Live-demo] Project Sponsor logos in Project Overviews on OSGeo-Live

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 14:50:53 PDT 2017

Looping OSGeo-Live back into the conversation with permission, (Jody
isn't subscribed to osgeo-live list).

Jody, happy to discuss how branding/logos etc can be updated (probably
for next release rather than this coming one).

However, it would be good to get the sponsors page up to date with this
release. If you can help with guiding what you see needs doing, that
would be appreciated.

Thanks Cameron

On 17/6/17 7:43 am, Jody Garnett wrote:

> About OSGeo Incubating logo - I would like to change that to reflect
> the "OSGeo Community" branding established last year. I can open a bug
> ticket formally as incubation chair if you like. We also have new
> OSGeo branding in the works if there is a chance to include that in
> OSGeo Live.
>
> The https://live.osgeo.org/en/sponsors.html page may need a sponsors
> refresh (no longer called OSGeo Supporting Sponsors for example).
>
> With respect to LocationTech and other organizations, I hope the new
> website gives us a chance to write down formally how the organization
> interact - in addition to some of the joint activities undertaken to
> promote open source.
>
> I should draw on your experience with osgeo live, - I would like to
> list OSM and naturalearthdata.com <http://naturalearthdata.com>, but i
> am not sure OSGeo (or OSGeo Live) has any formal relationship (or just
> a tradition of promoting these great resources). Do you have any details?
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 16 June 2017 at 13:15, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Marc, Jody,
>
>     As you have probably noticed, we have "OSGeo Incubated" and "OSGeo
>     Incubating" logos in our Project Overviews. I see a place for
>     "LocationTech Incubated" logos as well. However before introducing
>     LocationTech concepts on OSGeo-Live, I think it important to work
>     out how to explain these concepts easily to new users
>     (OSGeo-Live's primary target audience).
>
>     I think the relationship between OSGeo and LocationTech is unclear
>     to many who are unsure whether the two are competitors or
>     complementary. So if we add the LocationTech concept into
>     OSGeoLive, I think we need to help new (and existing) users by
>     referencing a few paragraphs saying:
>
>     "OSGeo is this, LocationTech is that". Defining "this and that"
>     needs to be jointly agreed upon, and I suspect will involve a long
>     public email thread. Hopefully less heated than prior discussions
>     on this topic.
>
>     Warm regards, Cameron
>

>     On 15/6/17 7:44 am, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>     Tagging in Marc with his LocationTech hat on.
>>
>>     Marc you have been interested in having LocationTech projects
>>     list themselves on OSGeo live. I have asked Cameron if the
>>     projects could  have the LocationTech logo as part of their
>>     description.
>>
>>     Cameron I see a distinction between a company and a software
>>     foundation here; I would like to recognize projects that are
>>     bigger than a single company. I also note that QGIS has its own
>>     foundation, so this may be a general pattern for the OSGeo Live
>>     project to consider.
>>
>>     --
>>     Jody Garnett
>>
>>     On 14 June 2017 at 14:04, Cameron Shorter
>>     <cameron.shorter at gmail.com <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]

M +61 419 142 254