[Live-demo] meeting of UN OpenGIS in Brindisi - and OSGeo-LIve

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 20:05:28 PDT 2017

Hi Maria, all,

I'd be interested to hear about ideas proposed to be taken into this UN
meeting, and also to propose some ideas.

I've dug back through the UN email list and found Maria's last report
(which was great) and copied below. Has there been any progress on ideas
reported from that report?

Speaking as a member of the OSGeo-Live project, I think there is great
potential to lever some of the investment we have put into OSGeo-Live to
take into the UN and Geo4All context.

In particular, OSGeo-Live provides a stable platform from which training
material can be built on top of, as proved by its wide use at many OSGeo
and FOSS4G workshops.

It taps into contributors form the many OSGeo-Live projects to help
create and maintain content.

It taps into translators for translating content.

It provides a stamp of quality.

And it provides a distribution pipeline.

I'd be keen to open a conversation within the UN context about this.

Warm regards, Cameron Shorter

On 17/11/16 6:14 pm, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:

> [...]
> co-chairs, appointment of technical advisory group members, requirement
> advisory group members, and assessment team members.
> *   Three Co-Chairs (one appointed by UN and two elected among the
> Strategic Board members: ) and Secretariats
> *   Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
> *   Requirement Advisory Group (RAG)
> *   Assessment Team (AT)
>
> - The Spirals, i.e. the Working Groups, which at the moment are the
> following:
>
> *   Spiral 1 – UN Open Geo-Portal (started March 11, 2016) led by
> Anthony Calamito (Boundless)
> *   Spiral 2 – Capacity Building (started May, 2016) led by Maria
> Brovelli (OSGeo and GeoForAll)
> *   Spiral 3 – Geo-Analysis (started March 11, 2016) led by Hae Kyong
> Kang (Republic of Korea)
> *   Spiral 4 – Data Acquisition (started March 11, 2016) led by
> Ki-Joune Li (Republic of Korea)
>
> OSGeo and GeoForAll have been contributing to several aspects of the
> projects. The main contribution for sure has been that related to
> Capacity Building.
> Up to now people of OSGeo and GeoForAll have helped in selecting and
> revising already existing training courses about the basic geospatial
> tools of interest for the UN Staff supporting the peacekeeping mission,
> who are the staff we are in contact with. A survey provided to the UN
> staff showed that they are primarily interested in QGIS, PostGIS,
> GeoNode, Geoserver and Openlayers.
> We are therefore organising self-paced training courses, assisted by
> tutors of OSGeo, GeoForAll and other entities, like GeoAcademy and
> Boundless, and offered using the e-learning platform of Politecnico di
> Milano.
> We have been planned 4 editions of QGIS GeoAcademy (we are currently at
> the second edition) and 2 editions of PostGIS Boundless (starting from
> January, 9 2017).
> Totally around 80 staff of UN will be trained in using QGIS and around
> 30 in PostGIS. Next year we will go ahead with the other software.
> Spreading the usage of Open Source software also within organisation as
> UN is one important point for OSGeo and that is the reason why the Board
> has chosen to put a so great effort on this initiative.
> Apart from the Capacity Building OSGeo will willingly work for
> incubating the software that will be available under the umbrella of UN
> Open GIS. This will ensure its quality and will give sustainability to
> the project itself.
>

> *----------------------------------------------------
> *Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
> Vice Rector for Como Campus and GIS Professor
> Politecnico di Milano
> **
>
> ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)";OSGeo;
> ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET
>
> *SolKatzAward2015*
>
> Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALY)
>
> Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob.+39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321

M +61 419 142 254