[OSGeoLive] machine translations

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Thu Jul 26 09:26:19 PDT 2018

Hi All -

  I am not familiar with the details, but perhaps a different example
can provide ideas.

  When organizing code "camps" and un-conferences in the past, there
are many small
pieces that help, but are not the same as the primary "sponsor" .. who
typically provides
money and perhaps some management.

  Open-source, community events are somewhat like "stone soup" from
the old folktale [0]. Everyone
bring what they can. Common things like equipment, transportation,
food and food services, media coverage,
publicity, speaker and guest liason, special software or software
skills, are all needed and
appreciated, but not the same as "sponsor".

  Generally people and companies want to participate for long-term
benefits, like skills
building, better documentation, bug fixes and best-practices evolution,
but also there
is a short-term desire to be seen and recognized.

  Translation of documentation to all human languages is a core value
of OSGeoLive,
for many reasons. The translation software here should be valued and
honored as
a great contribution. We can find a way to meet the needs of the small company
to be seen and acknowledged, via attribution in the docs. It is not the
exact same
thing as "sponsor" but that is ok.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup

  Note on Google Translate -- Google makes a decision to provide a
cost-free service
to the public via a web page. There are likely legal disclaimers and
some kind of License
avaiable from Google.

  But Google is a busines where "there is only one Google" .. people
are not named,
small companies are not recognized, there is no communication to users
by the company.
Google is highly secretive and not at all open in a traditional sense,
but instead make
very sophisticated services available for zero cost to the Internet, in
exchange they
keep and use who-knows-what to further their technology lead.

  The Google model is not avaiable nor desirable for diverse
communities. I see no
reason at all to be concerned about the Google Translate use other than
to abide by
the stated license. It is not at all the same situation as a small,
young company with
a new product, like this translation software via Vicky.

  best regards from berkeley, California     --Brian M Hamlin

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 13:07:22 -0300, Jeff McKenna