[OSGeoLive] Motion OSGeoLive monthly updating and versioning of the documentation

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:10:17 PDT 2018

-1 on the above motion.

Reasoning: The first 2 release digits should remain synchronized with the
iso release, in case we would need to make a bugfix release (12.1.0) or in
case we decide to go back to 6 month releases (e.g. 12.5.0), the
documentation numbering should not conflict with the iso release numbering.
To resolve my blocking vote, I propose the following alternative:
1. Monthly update of the documentation files from transifex at
https://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html
2. We would like to define version numbers for the monthly updates f.e.
* 12.0.x (without v at the begining to keep the current style) -> more
translations on existing languages or a new language(s) is added

Thoughts?

Best,
Angelos

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 11:10 PM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> +0 from me for periodic updates of translations. If we have the
> community energy to put out regular releases of translations, then I'm
> all for doing so. But I am mindful that maybe we shouldn't stretch
> beyond our volunteer capacity. (Maybe release every 3 months or 6 months
> instead of every month).
>
> Cameron
>

> On 12/9/18 5:49 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > while some of you left already we discussed 3. Translations update (at
> > 20:39:55)
> >
> > see irc log
> > http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeolive/%23osgeolive.2018-09-10.log
> >
> > I will explain what we discussed and would like to make a motion at
> > the end.
> >
> > This would be the process:
> >
> > 1. Monthly update of the documentation files from transifex at
> > https://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html
> > (reason: to encourage the translators to work on the translation. Else
> > they would have to wait till Version 13.0 in 1 year)
> >
> > 2. we would like to defined version numbers for the monthly updates f.e.
> > * v12.0.1 -> more translations on existing languages (micros when more
> > files are translated)
> > * v12.1.0 -> if a new language(s) is added (minors when a language has
> > completed overviews)
> >
> > Vicky and Bakaniko would work on the update of the documentation.
> >
> > Astrid could help if we write a press release / news about it.
> >
> > MOTION: OSGeoLive monthly updating and versioning of the documentation
> > in the above explained way
> >
> > Best Astrid
> >

> --
> Cameron Shorter