[OSGeoLive] OSGeoLive Cloud -- (was Budget 2019)

James Klassen jklassen at sharedgeo.org
Mon Jan 14 09:09:15 PST 2019

Technically, I suspect it would be relatively easy to convert the OSGeoLive
VM image into the formats accepted by various cloud providers.

My main concern is that historically OSGeoLive has been setup prioritizing
ease of use on a single user machine to let a new user explore and learn
the software with as few hurdles as possible.  This seems in fundamental
conflict with best practices for putting a server on the open internet (in
the cloud or otherwise).

For example, we have easily guessable and well documented passwords,
generally permissive permissions in applications and on the filesystem,
unrestrictive firewall, way more than the minimum software installed than
is needed for any given task (increasing attack surface area), ...

I think we would need to put some serious thought into how to secure an
OSGeoLive cloud image and what that might mean for usability.