[OSGeoLive] MapCache Permissions

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 25 02:43:23 PDT 2019

On 2019-07-25 11:05, Seth G wrote:
> Bas - where is the best place to find these details? Are there docs,

The cache directory is not explicitly documented.

We could add README.Debian to document this, but the path is FHS
compliant and shouldn't need explicit docs.

> or is it best to look at the packaging scripts?

That's always a good idea.

> I found where it is set at
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/mapcache/blob/master/debian/libapache2-mod-mapcache.postinst
>
> Just to note the main MapCache doc uses /tmp for the cache. I tried
> this originally but no other user can then access the tiles (which can
> be very useful for resuing and checking caches). Apparently it:
>
>> is from a feature of systemd called PrivateTmp.
>> If httpd writes something to /tmp, it will be in
>> /tmp/systemd-private-*-httpd.service-*

The FHS documents /var/cache for application cache data, see:

  https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch05s05.html

MapCache upstream should consider being compliant by default.

Kind Regards,

Bas