[OSGeoLive] Will there be an ARM version of the osgeo live?

Jim Klassen jklassen at sharedgeo.org
Tue Feb 8 12:37:30 PST 2022

This is getting off topic, but running x86 operating systems on non-x86 Macs isn't a new thing to long time Apple users.

There were multiple software options for both 68k Macs (eg. SoftPC) as well as PowerPC Macs (eg. SoftWindows/VirtualPC) to allow this. Of course, the emulation was slower than running native in a VM, but it was for the most part usable.  (There were also several hardware solutions going back to the Apple IIe with several CP/M Z-80 cards, there was a Mac286 card available for the Mac II series, and the "DOS Compatible" version of the PowerMac 6100 had a 486 card in it, and probably more I don't know about.  And of course, one of the features Apple claimed of their x86 Macs was the ability to run other x86 operating systems natively using Bootcamp.)

There are also FOSS projects (available at least on Linux) which allow running x86 operating systems on non-x86 machines (QEMU and Bochs come to mind).  QEMU also has long supported user mode emulation on Linux which allows running any architecture Linux binaries as if it was a native binary on any architecture Linux system.

What surprises me is, given this very long (35+ year) and continuous history of users needing at least some capability to run x86 operating systems on their Apple hardware, that Apple and the surrounding ecosystem have ignored this need with the Apple's transition to ARM.