[ows.js] API design

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 03:34:26 PDT 2015

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Daniel Nüst wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:13:20 +0100
> From: Daniel Nüst <d.nuest at 52north.org>
> To: owsjs at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: [ows.js] API design
>
> Hi all!
>
> As a follow up on a great discussion during last weeks FOSSGIS
> conference, I'd like to get peoples opinions on how to proceed with the
> following issue: We don't have a coherent API design yet. If we had,
> people who want to contribute would have clear tasks to implement.
>
> One suggestion (not by me, feel free to claim :-) ) was to simply copy
> the owslib API [1] to have something to start with. We would potentially
> have to accept that it might not fit a JS API perfectly, but have a
> valid version 1.0.
>
> Any opinions? Alternatives?
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel
>
> [1] http://geopython.github.io/OWSLib/

OWSLib is basically:

- the constructor does GetCapabilities
- other operations are class methods
- other methods are included as helpers (i.e. get_operation_by_name, etc.)
- attribute/property model is based on the given spec; there is some
   consistency across like standards

Is there a JS API example we can peruse as a comparison?

..Tom