[pdal] PDAL driver/plugin search path

Bradley Chambers brad.chambers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 06:08:53 PST 2014

Rob,

 I seem to be having some trouble getting PDAL to recognize a new writer
> that I am creating as a plugin. I found that if I changed
> StageFactory::loadPlugins so that the “pluginDir” was equal to “.:./bin” so
> that it would search in the same directory as the pdal.exe executable, then
> it would work.

You've located a section of code that attempts to set some default search
locations. Looks like this needs to be augmented for Windows users. These
default paths are especially convenient for developers who don't want to
re-install the latest plugins every time they recompile. They can instead
find the libraries in the build directory.

> I suppose that what I should have done was to set an environment variable
> named “PDAL_DRIVER_PATH” to “.:./bin” instead. Is that correct?

Yes, especially when deploying PDAL, you would want to set
PDAL_DRIVER_PATH. The actual path may vary from one system to another.

> If so, any thoughts on the best way to distribute the pdal.exe file to
> another user working on Windows? Is it expected that the other user would
> need to set that environment variable, as well as install all the
> supporting PDAL libraries (boost, all the OSGeo4W64 libraries, etc.)?

Yes.

Brad