[pdal] Splitting LAS file into multiple outputs

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:31:59 PST 2018

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 7:59 PM Rose Phillips <RPhillips at linz.govt.nz>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> Hope you’re having a good week J I was wondering if there was a way to
> split an input LAS file into multiple LAS outputs, using shapefile geometry
> boundaries (and conserving the number of total points)?
>
> I’ve looked at the example below and noticed it was for one output only
> [pdal pipeline ] ;
>

> https://pdal.io/workshop/exercises/analysis/clipping/clipping.html
>

> Other options I’ve looked at;
>
> pdal split seems to only split by number of points?
>
> pdal tile seems to only give square tile outputs?
>

> Please let me know if I’ve overlooked something.

I don't think we do this directly, though it has been discussed.  You can
pass the geometries into filters.crop, but you need to pass WKT and then
use a writer that will write multiple views (LAS, BPF, OGR, GDAL).  If your
geometries don't overlap and overlap all points, you should get the same
number on output as on input.

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com