[pdal] Point cloud generalisation and feature extraction

Jo Walsh metazool at fastmail.net
Wed Sep 12 08:16:11 PDT 2018

Good evening PDAL list,

I've been at a seminar focusing on machine learning applications for palaeontology, thinking of PDAL and not quite sure why. Various folks here have very high resolution laser or LED scans of very small objects and are interested in doing 3D model classification.

Is there a moral equivalent of GDAL's Polygonize function in PDAL or a Douglas-Peucker like algorithm for point cloud simplification? Is anyone on this list looking at this sort of problem domain? Am I talking out my hat?

Cheers,

Jo
--
  Jo Walsh