[pdal] [EXTERNAL] Point cloud generalisation and feature extraction

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Sep 12 08:35:30 PDT 2018

Jo,
Not sure about pdal, but you might want to contact Vaclav Petras about
v.decimate in GRASS, https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/v.decimate.html

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Processing_lidar_and_UAV_point_clouds_in_GRASS_GIS_(workshop_at_FOSS4G_Boston_2017)

Doug

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:16 AM Jo Walsh <metazool at fastmail.net> wrote:

> Good evening PDAL list,
>
> I've been at a seminar focusing on machine learning applications for
> palaeontology, thinking of PDAL and not quite sure why. Various folks here
> have very high resolution laser or LED scans of very small objects and are
> interested in doing 3D model classification.
>
> Is there a moral equivalent of GDAL's Polygonize function in PDAL or a
> Douglas-Peucker like algorithm for point cloud simplification? Is anyone on
> this list looking at this sort of problem domain? Am I talking out my hat?
>
> Cheers,
>

> Jo
> --
>   Jo Walsh
>   metazool at fastmail.net

Doug Newcomb - Cartographer
USFWS
551F Pylon Dr
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

*NOTE: This email correspondence and any attachments to and from this
sender is subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and may be
disclosed to third parties.*​