[pdal] Point cloud generalisation and feature extraction

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Wed Sep 12 08:45:41 PDT 2018

Jo,

I would say there probably isn't, as the problem is very loosely defined. Both of your examples leak too, but not so bad that people can't come up with a 'good enough' solution that most people are satisfied with.

What do you mean by simplification? Do you mean decimated points (TIN-style, grid-style, others)? Do you mean simplified by having 'similar' points be segmented together?  Do you mean transformed into 3D surfaces with volumes or edges? Andrew gave pointers to all of the possibilities.

You'll need to be more explicit about what you mean by 'simplified' :)

Howard

PS. Sorry to have missed you in Madison, Wisconsin! Next time you are in the neighborhood, plan to stop by.